The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has slashed the fares of state-owned buses, otherwise known as BRT buses by 50% as part of efforts to cushion the effect of the removal of petrol subsidy.
The governor also announced the reduction of fares by commercial yellow buses also known as Danfo buses by 25% on all routes.
This was disclosed by Governor Sanwo-Olu during a media briefing on Monday, July 31, 2023, where he announced that the bus fare reduction will take effect from Wednesday, August 2, 2023.
The governor also announced the expansion of the Fleet of Staff Buses for the Workers in the Lagos State Public Service to cushion the effect of the Subsidy removal, adding that the buses are ready and will be deployed through the office of the Head of Service of the state.
Governor Sanwo-Olu also has also announced good palliatives for the poor and vulnerable in the society through various stakeholders (CDAs, Religious Groups, etc), adding that the foodstuff will also be purchased locally.
- The governor said, “We’ve had extensive conversations with all of the stakeholders in our transport system, both formal and informal modes of transportation, and we have come to a conclusion, which the state government will be supporting.
- “Immediately from Wednesday, all public transportations that are being controlled by LAMATA, all of the high capacity buses, will be playing all the routes of Lagos at 50 percent discount, and all commuters that will be plying these routes will start enjoying a 50 percent rebate on the transport fares that are currently being charged on all of these routes.
- “It cannot start tomorrow because they need to do a lot of configuration and validation so that it can happen on Wednesday. That decision has been taken and communicated to them.’’
According to him, the commercial drivers’ unions are to officially announce the reduction of fares.
- He added, “For the informal buses, they are also going to make a pronouncement today. I can say to you that we have agreed with them that they will be doing about a 25 percent reduction of fares on their buses — all of the yellow buses that we have on the street,” the governor noted.
- “They will make a formal announcement maybe later today on that. That will take effect tomorrow or Wednesday.”